Thursday, November 13, 2008

So Blogs.. yeah

Recently, I have not found anything which seems appropriate to blog about. I could just tell you about my lunch, which was some darn good soup, but I prefer to do my part to keep that pointless stuff off the internet.
Instead, today will be the first episode of my Music Quote of the Every Few Days blog.

“No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible.” – W.H. Auden

I’ve always been intrigued by Auden. He seemed to draw from the ancient epics in much of his poetry, which is unique for its time. But did he actually have a strong interest in it, or was this just a remark at the absurdity of opera? Well, apparently he found freedom in writing librettos. He wrote and co-wrote a number of them, even for composers such as Britten and Stravinsky.

No comments: